Monday 15 September 2014

Dirty Hippie by Miley Cyrus

"To some people, it was just me gluing some things together, to me, it made me not a f*cking pop star dumbass. And that’s my goal in my life: to not die a pop pop dumb dumb," - The ever eloquent words of a certain Miss Cyrus regarding her recent designing début with Jeremy Scott at NYFW. 

Not quite content with causing controversy in the worlds of film, music and general celebrity stardom, Miley decided to take a crack at fashion designing too with her art instillation "Dirty Hippie". Whilst her sculptures also had their moment at New York Fashion week, it was her necklaces and hair pieces that had the spotlight, being paired with Jeremy Scott's SS15 collection. And if her aim was to cause controversy, she was undeniably successful. If it was to design pieces of gorgeous jewellery... well, her success is debatable. 

Frankly, it's ridiculous.


The mix of air fresheners, fake petals and pompoms is hardly vintage Chanel. Or modern day Chanel, for that matter. To be honest, it's not even Topshop. And as much as I believe in free expression, I don't like the fact that Miley got a free pass into the highly competitive world that is fashion design just because of her reputation. People work for years to get that kind of break. People work for years and most don't even make it within a mile of fashion week. Yet Miley Cyrus admits to spending just two months on her art and ends up getting dragged onto the catwalk by Jeremy Scott at the end of his show. It all just seems a little unjust. 







Still, I can't fault Miley's thought process behind it - 'I had a bunch of f*cing junk and sh*t, and so instead of letting it be junk and sh*t, I turned it into something that made me happy.'

I think that's the kind of positive idea we should all embrace! Although for me it will involve much less plastic... 

Bethany Paige X



3 comments:

  1. Ugh I just really don't like her and I really hate this collection D: So glad you've shared so I can avoid at all costs hahah xxx



    Blonde of carbs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus Christ she's such a mess :/ I agree, it seems really unfair that she gets the limelight just because she's famous yet others with actual talent never get that opportunity. xx

    http://blog.doodleheart.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's safe to say that her 'art instillation' was...interesting! Love the positive idea at the end but wayytoo many loud colours and plastic bits :)
    Feel free to check out our newest post x
    http://looklovewear.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/london-fashion-week-ss15-ootd-and.html

    ReplyDelete